How can I Register for the PE Exam?

Eligibility for the PE exam is generally associated with:

  • Having a Civil Engineering or related degree from an EAC/ABET Accredited engineering program,
  • Several years of professional experience, usually 4,
  • A pass in the Fundamentals of Engineering Exam,
  • and Endorsements from a professional engineers.

So, if you are eligible, you need to contact the National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying (NCEES). This national nonprofit organization is dedicated to advancing professional licensure for Civil Engineers and others. It develops, administers, and scores the PE Exam in Civil Engineering. It promotes uniformity of the U.S. licensure processes through services for its member licensing boards and licensees.

Registering with the NCEES

First, visit the NCEES website at Next, click on the Exam tab in the right-hand sidebar menu and select your state. You’ll need to get all the approvals to be able to sit for the exam. Next, log in to NCEES to create an account, that will become “MY NCEES”. It’s here you’ll get all your important documentation and communications. You must create your account before the NCEES deadline for the next exam. And you’ll have to pay the exam fee required by your state licensing board.

Registration for the PE Exam Outside of the U.S.

Perhaps you’re reading this from far away. Did you know that NCEES extends beyond mainland US? Now, there are professional licensing exams administered by foreign countries and US territories. They may administer the PE for Civil Engineers, so check on The overseas locations include:

  • Alberta, Canada
  • Egypt
  • The United Arab Emirates
  • Guam
  • Japan
  • South Korea
  • The Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands
  • Saudi Arabia
  • Taiwan
  • Turkey
  • The Virgin Isles

Download the NCEES Examinee Guide – June 2015.
NCEES Examinee Guide - June 2015